Thursday, October 18, 2012

The People at the Meeting

Because of the nature of my job, I rarely get the opportunity to just doodle my working hours away. However, every once in a while I'll have to attend a slew of boring meetings complete with Power Points and laser pointers and handouts. When that happens, I doodle myself dinky. At today's day long seminar I decided to use the time to do some life drawings of my fellow victims.

 So, here are (predominately) sketches of old, balding white men looking to the left. I made these drawings in pencil, quickly, without erasing or fussing too much about details. Just quick, secret drawings of drowsy employees in the semi dark. Each sketch is only a few inches tall and most were done in only about 5-10 minutes. For those interested, you can get some insight into my very loose and light penciling style.

When I got home I broke out my brush pens and had a go at these poor slobs. Hopefully this will demonstrate a little about inking. Like, a lot depends on picking the right line. My pencils tend to be loose and scratchy, just giving a feel for the form and the shape. When I ink, I try to pick the one line that will best describe the subject and lay it down with as much confidence as I can muster. Then I just try to shade and shape that object as best I can. These are just doodles. Quick, throwaway drawings to keep my mind and hand active. But each little mark is a small step to something better, right? Anyway, hope you enjoyed this little foray.

--- H.

No comments: