Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Playin' poker with Luke Cage!


This is an edited version of the original commission. My buddy Ted wanted a Luke Cage piece that showed both versions. He also mentioned liking a playing card drawing I'd done before (Spirit/GL Hal). So I combined the two. The original piece Ted has hanging in his downtown pad has the current Luke Cage on top with the 70's version on bottom. I thought the 70's version was a better drawing, so I flipped it, cleaned up the "CAGE" belt buckle and added a playing card-espue background. I'm really happy with how this one turned out!
I'm usually have more of a realistic style, but bending the rules really gave this a playing card feel. The proportions are off, but I think they really serve the overall design. May take a crack at some more playing cards at some point down the line...
The original was done with Copic markers on my usual 9 x 12 bristol board.

No comments: