Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Week #1 - Favorite Comic Strip Character - CALVIN and HOBBES

We're about to start a weekly themed sketch project (at this point still unnamed) over at Sketch Charlotte. The first week's topic is favorite comic strip character. I was so pumped about getting back into a weekly sketch group that I went ahead and sketched out my favorite, Calvin & Hobbes! (apologies to Mr Watterson of course!) I usually finish things off with ink, but I really enjoyed knocking this one out with an old beat up school pencil. Maybe it'll see inks at some point...
Now that I have a son the strip is about to take on a whole new meaning for me! It's a weird position to be in, because just a few short years ago I still read it from the Calvin "perspective." Now I look for how his parents respond to his adventures and brace myself for what's surely coming down the pike!
I get the daily strip in my inbox via ucomics.com and I have just about all the paperback collections. I recently picked up the absolute collection for my "library." As soon as Jonathan is ready he will inherit them and hopefully they'll entertain and inspire him as much as they did me!

No comments: