Wednesday, March 16, 2011

2011 Sketchbook prep

This is one of my favorite times of the year: convention season. I'll spend the next 2-3 months gearing up our annual sketchbook. I'll take scans of commissions, assignments, random drawings and sketch group pieces from the previous year and start cobbling them into what will eventually make their way into the book.

Here's today's example: BPRD's Trevor Bruttenholm

I originally did this one for a Sketchercise over at www.sketchcharlotte.com
It was nice enough, but lacked a certain "oomph" needed to be in the sketchbook. So I set up the dimensions and finished drawing out the piece to fill out the area. I then added the tentacles and the background I had created in photoshop (a take off on the Abe background I used last year).

Here are the before and after pics:

before:




And the after:


Volume 5 will debut at the 2011 Heroes Con (with new artist Henry Eudy!).
Copies of vol 3 and 4 of the Big Dog's Studio sketchbook are still available. Both feature the art of Mark Godby, Terence Hoskins and myself. For more information G-mail me at: BigDogsStudio

2 comments:

chris be said...

i really like how you expanded this sir, the tentacles echo the wrinkles in his jacket, nice effect mang. lookin forward to your sketchbook this year!

Brandon Padgett said...

Thanks Chris, means a lot coming from you! :)

I was hoping it wasn't too in your face. I was going for subtle, but as I extended it down it really took on a life of its own and now I can't NOT see it!