Saturday, June 25, 2011

Alan Moore Creations: Miracleman


As a teenager, after having read "V for Vendetta" and "Watchmen," I went on a tear to uncover other Alan Moore scripted comics sleeping secretly away in the back issue bins of my local comic book shops. This was in the mid-Nineties and the great glut of product from the independent publishing boom of the late Eighties was still lounging around most shops where you could very often buy full runs for just a very few dollars. Thus it was with me and Miracleman. The comic had been published in the U.S. by the now defunct Eclipse Comics and no one cared much about it since it didn't feature a W.I.L.D.Cat or a Spawn or something of that ilk. But these were little treasures to me. I scoured dollar bins and even less that dollar bins and eventually assembled every issue for my collection.

Miracleman still stands as one of the best things I've ever read in comic book form. It so perfectly takes the bizarre logic and mythology of the Golden Age and turns it around into a modern and very human masterpiece. It's a great series that deserves to be sought out and held up as a great achievement in revisionist superhero comics along side "Watchmen" and "The Dark Knight Returns."

This drawing is on 6x9 sketchbook paper, made with brushpens, india ink, white out and markers. Available for purchase for $5.00 by writing me at hank@ohthehumanatee.com.

No comments: