Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Alan Moore Creations - Rorschach

Rorschach blew my 12 year old mind. I'd never seen anything like him in my short time of reading comics. I remember picking it up off the shelf of my LCS way back in the day. I'd heard a lot of people talking about it at the shop so I thought I would give it a shot. I flipped through those issues, but Moore's writing and Gibbons art was wasted on my sensibilities of the time. Yet I gravitated towards the Rorschach character. He seemed like a perverse Batman that did what you thought Batman wouldn't do. While the character was intense and demanded my attention, the story lost me. It was deeper than what I was used to reading and the story felt dirty, so I stopped buying the issues. I didn't read Watchmen as a whole until later in high school and it set my comic book world on its ear. That being said, I don't hold it in as high esteem as most critics do, but I see the importance of it. It'll hold it's place of critical acclaim in just about every discussion relating to comics. But it won't be on my desert island reader's list.

This was done with copic markers on 5 x 7 tab stock - FREE with the purchase of any Big Dog's Studio sketchbook.

No comments: