Well after tweaking the brightness/contrast in photoshop it came to me that I was a few steps ahead of myself. It wouldn't looks right to go back in on a high contrast piece, so I went back to the original and cut out what I wanted to redraw and left the contrast alone.
I reduced it a bit to fit an 8-1/2" x 11 sheet and printed it out. I then went back in with a 4H pencil and drew the corrections. I used the same tools to ink these changes (Prismacolor pens, faber-castell big brush pen, prismacolor cool grey art markers) I then added a gradient behind his right hand.
I'm still unhappy with the right hand, so instead of adding in the white acrylic splatter I've decided to redraw the right hand first. Once I have it the way I want it I'll assemble it in photoshop, print it out and add the splatter...stay tuned!